Open Heart Surgery
For years, Gwinnett was the largest county in the United States without an open heart facility. In 2010 alone, 545 residents had to travel outside of the county to receive the cardiac care and treatment hey needed—for everything from pacemakers to stents to heart attacks. Gwinnett Medical Center decided something had to be done to change this potentially life-threatening statistic.
With the opening of the Strickland Heart Center, residents of Gwinnett and the region now have an advanced open heart facility that features the latest technologies and treatments. And our staff of highly trained cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons has decades of experience treating cardiovascular disease.
The Strickland Heart Center boasts two dedicated, state-of-the-art 750-square-foot cardiovascular operating rooms, including a vascular hybrid room and monitors that display images in 3D.
Our open heart surgery procedures include:
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG)
- Valve surgery
- Off-pump coronary artery bypass (OPCAB)
- Aortic valve replacement utilizing stented as well as stentless bioprostheses and mechanical valves
- Mitral valve repair
- Mitral valve replacement
- Minimally invasive valve surgery
- Heartport and robotic-assisted cardiac surgery
- Ventricular assist devices